Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Drinkin' the CrossFit Koolaid?!

Side Note: Our new hard drive has officially arrived (eeeeh) however, I have yet to find the time to transfer everything over. And of course, I can't just throw stuff on there, I need to go through the last 5+ years of junk before I finally clear up some space to start posting pictures again. But until then, here is an interesting update about our lives lately.

-----

Yup, I've officially joined the dark side. Well, not officially I guess, more of a "I'm trying it on for size, but black is totally my color". And yes, I am bringing the hubby with me! Actually it was him that talked me into it, so when I am cranky next week you will all know who to blame : )

So here's the deal, H and I have tried a few workouts before. I got through two thirds of P90X to get in shape for the wedding (best shape of my life btw - just saying) and I really loved it. What I didn't love was Tony Horton's goofy phrases and annoying Andrea who every time she was in a video I felt like telling her to go eat a burrito! Plus the yoga video was just awful, one and half hours of the same-move-over-and-over. But, at the end of the day, I saw results. I also recently tried the T25 series with Shaun T. Must say, he is a way better coach than Tony in my opinion, but after the first 5 weeks of the Alpha program I was feeling a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the workouts kicked my butt, but I am not sure how the end result would be mainly because there was no lifting. The workouts are high intensity, 25 minutes, major cardio, and what's better than spending 25 minutes a day to work out and actually seeing/feeling results?

Apparently CrossFit.

For the last year, H and I have had multiple friends joining the CrossFit Cult trend and they all have wonderful things to say. They have been trying to get us to join for months now and our whole excuse was it's too much money and too much time. Until we saw this Groupon deal that would allow us to try out our local CrossFit, which as luck would have it is where our friends from work go, for only $40! We toyed with the idea and then we thought of Pepper. Yea she's a dog, but we love spending a lot of time with her. We have put so much time and energy into training her that we didn't want her to become neglected. However, she is not a puppy anymore, she just turned one last weekend and we are starting to give her more freedom. So maybe if we are gone an hour and a half at night we can leave her out of the crate and see how she does. I know, famous last words, but the gym is only 15 minutes from the house so we would be gone two hours max. I guess we could at least try it out right? Plus we have friends that do CrossFit and have dogs, if they can do it, then why couldn't we?

Groupon purchased!

We had our first meeting yesterday with one of the coaches. He showed us around and gave us a look into what CrossFit is all about. He seemed really knowledgable and excited about the gym, which in turn made me excited (not sure how H felt about the whole thing) and told us we are going to officially start on Wednesday. Yup that's tomorrow - que my totally freaking out face!

So we will see how it so goes. We apparently have to "test out" of individual classes which consist of learning all the lifts/moves before we are cleared for group classes and that should take about a month. I am totally fine with that because the longer I have before I make a fool out of myself in front of my friends, the better! Needless to say from time to time I will be posting about my CrossFit experience. 

Who knows, maybe I will love it, maybe it will be awful, but at least I am giving it a try!

JP


No comments:

Post a Comment