Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies


This post is something that I was going to blog about a while ago, back during the Holidays, but never really got around to it. I am a believer of living life not just writing about it, so when the time came to post this I was just too busy getting us ready to go to Florida for Christmas.  Needless to say, the post never happened and these beautiful pictures went to the wayside. However, since I am anxiously awaiting my new hard drive, I figured this would be a good one to tide readers over for a little while. 

Oh, and note to self... while these cookies are seriously amazing, they do not keep very well in a hot car for a two day drive. We got to Florida and they were complete mush, still delicious, but not nearly as pretty as they are here : ) Enjoy!

-----

These might just be my favorite cookies...


So gooey and delicious.


Of course, very festive for the Holidays.


and seriously super easy to make!

I got this recipe somewhere on the Food Network website, however, it was for chocolate crinkle cookies, not red velvet. For those who don't know, I am a sucker for anything red velvet : ) My amazing girlfriends even ordered me red velvet cupcakes for my Bridal Shower from my favorite bakery in the city - Martha's. Oh, that place seriously Heaven. It's this little hole in the wall store in the middle of Forest Hills, Queens. And yes, it is so worth the trip out to Queens. I am still grateful they were able to make that happen, love you ladies! 

They know that red velvet is top on my list of favorites, and after making these cookies, it will most certainly be on yours too! Like I said, this recipe originally called for chocolate in the form of a cake mix. I have made the chocolate version too and the cookies are really good, just not nearly as good as these (in my biassed opinion). Ok here goes,...

Ingredients: 

- 1 brick of cream cheese (8 oz)
- 1 stick butter at room temp (unsalted)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box moist red velvet cake mix
- a bunch of powdered sugar to roll the cookies in and for dusting (yea, I know not too technical sorry!)

Directions: 

- Cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Beat in the egg and then the vanilla extract
- Beat in the cake mix (you can just dump it in all at once, but just be sure to watch for fly aways)
- Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Roll dough into tbs sized balls and then roll them in a bowl of powdered sugar making sure to cover completely
- Place balls on an ungreased cookie sheet, a inch or two apart, and bake for 12 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack and then sprinkle with extra powdered sugar if needed

Note: the cookies will look slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven, this adds to the fudge-like gooey deliciousness!

Enjoy!
JP

No comments:

Post a Comment