Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Family Room To Do List

First, before I get blogging away with my projects, I wanted to take a minute to reflect on 9/11. It is a day for remembrance and reflection on the things that matter in this life. Even though it has been 12 years, I can still remember that day and exactly how I felt (which is very hard to put into words). It will forever be one of those days that people talk about. Like the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. People always used to say, "Where were you the day JFK was shot?", well for our generation, 9/11 has that same effect. "Where were you when the towers fell?"

Wherever you were, however you were affected, remember the victims,... never forget.

---------

Ok, on a lighter note, I have been kind of scatter brain lately with the house. There are just so many projects that H and I want to accomplish and I am getting overwhelmed. When that happens, I know I have to refocus my energy on ONE project and get that finished before moving on. So with that said, I am focused on picking a paint color for the family room/kitchen area and getting this space painted!

I originally wanted to hire someone to paint this space because it is just so large and will require so much taping and time and hard work, ugh.. but then I remembered, I never shy away from hard work and if we can save some serious $$ by painting it ourselves, then that is exactly what we are going to do! We will have to hire someone to paint the foyer just because we don't have a way to reach the super high ceilings, but that is ok, I can justify hiring someone for that space. The kitchen and family room, not so much.

After getting the paint chips in I think we have narrowed it down to just 2 colors, so hopefully we can get a few samples and get them on the wall, pick one, and get moving. It is between "Northern Cliffs" and "Revere Pewter" at the moment. I really love both colors, but I am leaning towards northern cliffs, I am just afraid it will be too dark. Hopefully paint samples will clear things up.

Here are a few inspirational photos of the two choices:

Revere Pewter




Northern Cliffs






Ok, so in order to get ready to paint there is one major project that needs to happen - Hide the surround sounds wires!!

This includes drilling holes, running wires, and patching up the mishaps (which are inevitable). Currently we have those cheap-o plastic wire hiders around the ceiling and while they work great and I barely notice them anymore, it is not that crisp finished look that I would like for our main living space. So, instead of wire hiders, and instead of running all the wire behind the walls (two of the 3 walls are exterior so that would not be fun) we are going to put up crown molding and place the wires behind it.

Now, while this seams like a great option, I know it is easier said than done. Especially since H has never cut crown molding or put it up before. Should be interesting. But hey, there is a first time for everything, right? Sigh. We will be getting some extra molding to practice on before getting started, so hopefully that will help us get into the swing of things before diving in.

I originally didn't even want to see the speakers, but I lost that battle, so at the very least I just don't want to see the wires.

So, step one, find similar crown molding to match what is already in our foyer and dining room. Let the search begin!

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment