Saturday, November 16, 2013

Chicken Tomatillo Soup with Chipotle Chiles

My husband loves spicy food. Yup, loves. And me, well, I enjoy spicy, just not so much so that I can't enjoy the rest of my meal. So when we got an unlimited amount of tomatillos from our CSA (oh, and check out Part 2) I knew I had to try out this recipe from my Soup of the Day book. I have tweaked the original recipe a little by adding a few things to beef it up.


Warning: this soup is spicy, but it has a great fresh flavor that really balances out the heat


Ingredients:

- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I just used 4 breasts since that is what I had)
- 1 oregano sprig
- 10 cilantro sprigs
- 9 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and chopped coarsely
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 large chipotle chiles in adobe, minced, plus 1 tbs adobe sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs canola oil
- 3 tsp lime juice (preferably fresh)
- 1 ripe avocado (garnish, though I didn't have one so I skipped it)
- Tortilla strips (garnish, skipped this too)
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 lb cotija or feta cheese crumbled (I used cheddar)
- 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

- In a large pot, combine broth, chicken breasts, oregano, cilantro, and 3 garlic cloves, bring to a boil


- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through (15-20 min)
- Transfer chicken to a plate and strain broth into a large heat proof bowl, discard the solids
- Wipe out the pot and set aside, then shred the chicken into bite sized pieces
- In a food processor (or blender) combine tomatillos, onion, chipotle chiles, adobe sauce, and remaining 6 cloves of garlic, process until a smooth paste


- In the clean pot, heat the oil over high heat, then add the tomatillo mixture and fry, stirring occasionally until the liquid evaporates (the color will be darker and the mixture will be very fragrant, about 15 min)
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes
- Add 1 1/2 tsp salt (yes, I know this sounds like a lot, but it needs it, especially if you use low sodium broth), lime juice, shredded chicken, and pepper to taste
- Add corn and black beans
- Simmer until the chicken, corn, and beans are heated through (5 min)
- While the soup is heating through, prep your garnishes


- Serve and Enjoy!




Happy Cooking!
JP

No comments:

Post a Comment