Tuesday, September 9, 2014

CSA 2014

So I realized today that I never mentioned our CSA share this year (you can find last year's posts here and here). I don't know how it slipped my mind considering I go every week and have been going since May! Anyway, this year there have been some ups and downs with the farm we belong to. Some produce has been great. Like the strawberries in the Spring, they were amazing. We easily picked 10 quarts of berries over the course of only a few weeks. So much so that I made berry muffins (protein ones that really didn't turn out all that great) and a strawberry pie that was delicious! I haven't posted about that though because the photos are on my camera - cue sad face.

Some produce has taken a while to come around like the tomatoes. This is our first week of getting more than a pound or two of tomatoes. I think this summer has been cooler than normal (trust me I'm not complaining) which is making the produce peek later in the season. I could be totally off base here but that's the only thing I can think of that would have pushed the "big" produce weeks back a month. I mean it is September, right? So why did we get almost 10 lbs of tomatoes this week and virtually none in August?

So here is what our share looked like this week (sorry for the subpar iphone photo):


- 1 large watermelon
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 head garlic
- 4 hot peppers
- 1 large yellow squash
- 2 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2 quarts of stewing/Roma tomatoes
- 1 quart of raspberries
- 1 pint green beans
- 1/2 pint yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pint tomatillos
- 1 1/2 pints red grape tomatoes
- 1 head of lettuce
- 3 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 5 lbs (yup 5!) beef steak tomatoes

Plus 60 stems of wild flowers and 6 sunflowers. Needless to say, it was a great week to be a CSA member! Now I just have to figure out what to do with all those tomatoes. Any suggestions?

JP




1 comment:

  1. oh man! yum! Love all that produce! you could to a tomato tart, salsa, caprese salads.... send some to me maybe?? ;)

    ReplyDelete