Thursday, January 16, 2014

Defining Your Decorating Style

Yea, that's a tough one. I still struggle with this because when it comes down to it, I just don't know. I know what I like and what I don't like, but I don't know what I'll love for years to come. So I registered for this free webinar over at Teal & Lime and after watching it I honestly think she had some great ideas on how to really define a person's style. The one thing I took home was to write down the things that I like and don't like so here goes:

Like:

  • contemporary
  • transitional (a mix between contemporary and traditional)
  • tufted furniture
  • clean lines
  • industrial elements like nailhead trim or wrought iron
  • a little bling
  • neutral colors (grey) with a bold accent
  • modern rustic pieces
  • graphic prints

Dislike:
  • anything country
  • a too casual feeling
  • too many bold colors
  • floral prints
  • anything too traditional
To be honest, it was harder to come up with things I dislike than like. I think that is because I really do like a number of different styles, making it difficult to bring them all together into one. Now, don't get me wrong, some of the things I dislike aren't that I don't like them in other people's homes, because I have seen plenty of photos and homes where they have some of these elements and it is gorgeous and really works! It is just not for me and my home is all. This is probably why I want to paint the entire house different shades of grey, slowing making my husband grey-zy (yea, I said it).

The next step was to pick out the key words, name it, and use the rest of the words to then describe it further. Easier said than done. Here's what I came up with:



Transitional with Industrial and Rustic elements - Including neutral clean lines, graphic prints, and a touch of color


Does that even make sense?? Ugh, I don't know. Well, that's my style and I'm sticking to it, for now : )
We will see how it all turns out I guess. I do think that by writing everything down has helped me to focus in on the things I do like, and hopefully next time I am walking aimlessly around HomeGoods I can spend a little less time debating if an item will work in our home. Speaking of HomeGoods, did I ever tell you about the first time I stepped foot in one of those stores? haha, well, I walked in, and walked right back out! I was SO overwhelmed. Literally walked in, walked around the first table (didn't even make it to an aisle) and peaced out. Now, I have to have a purpose for going in that store, and still, I walk up and down every aisle until I have looked at everything. Maybe now I can be a bit more decisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment