Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cinnamon Buns (Semi-homemade)

What goes better with a snowy Sunday morning than glazed cinnamon buns and a warm cup of coffee? Nothing. Seriously, what could be better?


I had a left over Pillsbury Dough Sheet from a three pack I bought at BJ's, so like anything else I don't know what to do with - I Googled it! : ) Needless to say, hundreds of ideas popped up but one that caught my eye was to make cinnamon buns. Who doesn't love a gooey, delicious bun in the morning? 


After searching through about a dozen recipes I decided to combine a few things from each one. I just made them my own and man did they turn out awesome! These bad boys are semi-homemade which is always a win in my book. Trying to make real, bakery style, homemade cinnamon buns is a lot of work, so by using the pre-made dough sheets, it saved a ton of time. They were even ready by the time H came in from shoveling the driveway and sidewalk making him a very happy Hubby : )

Just a fair warning: I didn't really measure anything, I just eye-balled it. This isn't an exact science so if you happen to like more of something than throw some more in, or if you don't have brown sugar, use white instead. You could also add some pecans or walnuts! I promise, they will still be delish!


I started by rolling out the dough sheet and spreading on some butter (or you can use margarine). Sprinkled some cinnamon, brown sugar, and white sugar on the dough until it was coated. I also added a tbs or two of butter to a pie dish, melted it in the microwave, and then added some cinnamon and brown sugar. 

Then, I just rolled up the dough sheet and cut it into eight equal pieces (I cut it in half, then half again, then half again). Just do the best you can with this since the ends will be a bit wonky looking. And be sure to use a serrated blade here, trust me, it will make cutting the dough way easier!

Next, place the buns into the pie pan, make sure to separate them a bit as they will puff when cooking. Pop them in a 350 degree oven for about 15 mins or until golden brown. 


I also topped these with a simple glaze made from some powdered sugar and milk. Again, I just eye-balled it but a good approximation is about 3 tbs. powdered sugar and 1 tbs. milk, mix together until a nice slurry is formed. You can always add more sugar if it's too runny or more milk if it's too thick. I also added a few drops of vanilla extract for extra flavor. 


These buns won't last long, so if you are hosting a crowd (or have more than two people eating with you) then you might want to make a double batch. Yes, they are that good!

Happy Sunday Everyone!
JP

No comments:

Post a Comment