Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vegan Creme Filled Cupcakes!


Yes, you heard me, VEGAN! And delicious!

My SIL has been a vegetarian for as long as I have known her and in the last year or two she has gone over to the dark side, I mean, become vegan : ) For those who don't know, vegan is defined as the elimination of ALL animal products. So no meat, fish, dairy, whey products, honey, you get the picture. Not the easiest task but when done right, while getting the correct amount of protein and nutrients in your diet, can be a very healthy lifestyle choice.

For my bridal shower, her gift to me was a few vegan cookbooks (secretly I think it was so she would have something to eat when she comes to visit). But in all honesty, I have fallen in love with one, Chloe's Kitchen. It is so well written and has some really great recipes. Many of which I will be posting here because they are all just that good. 

Now I am not vegan or vegetarian, nor is my husband, but we do try to live a healthy lifestyle so adding more veges to our diet, or even just a few vegetarian/vegan meals a week has really helped us to stay fit and healthy. I think it would be a great challenge for everyone to try planning one meal a week totally vege (vegan if you are daring enough); maybe you are already doing that, if so make it two! 

We have recently become a part of CSA (community supported agriculture) at our local organic farm and with the amount of veges we get every week, I find myself using those vegan cookbooks more and more!

So while I have been writing about healthy lifestyle choices, there is always room for a little chocolate! And I have to admit that when I saw this recipe I thought there was no way a cream filled cupcake could be vegan AND taste good but seriously, this one is a winner!!

Ingredients:

Cupcakes: 
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold coffee (or you can use water)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tbs. white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Creme frosting:
- 1/2 cup nonhydronated vege shortening
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tbs. soy, almond, or rice milk

Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/2 cup dairy free semisweet chocolate chips (can get these at Wegmans)
- 1/8 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 1 tbs. canola oil

Note: The cookbook calls for double the amounts for the frosting and ganache, but because I had way too much left over I have actually halved them here. So if you think you want left over (great for fruit dips, then just double the recipe!)



Directions: 

To make the Cupcakes: 
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners 
(recipe makes ~16)
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl
- Wisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and wisk together but do not over mix
- Fill cupcake liners ~ 2/3 full and bake for 15-18 mins (perfect for me at 17)
- Cool completely before frosting

To make Creme Frosting:
- Use a handheld or stand mixer and beat shortening until smooth
- On low, mix in powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tbs. non-dairy milk at a time as needed until it is a spreadable consistency
- Beat on high until light and fluffy (~2 more minutes)

To make Chocolate Ganache:
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk together in a double boiler (or a microwave which is what I did)
- Wisk in oil until smooth 



To Assemble Cupcakes:

- Fill a piping bag or reusable icing decorating bottle using a bismark tip with the creme frosting
- Insert tip into the center top of each cupcake and squeeze to fill cupcake with ~ 2-3 tsp. frosting
(Do not need to scoop out any of the cake)
- Spread the top of each cupcake with a thin layer of the ganache
- Pipe a cute design on the top with the remaining frosting - Get Creative!

Make Ahead Tip: The cupcakes can be filled and frozen up to a month in advance. Just thaw the prefilled cupcakes and top with ganache and design before serving. Or you can just make the creme frosting in advance. It can be stored in the frig for up to two weeks. Just make sure it it totally thawed before trying to use it. I made that mistake and broke one of my reusable piping bottles.. oops!

Enjoy!
JP

(This Recipe: "Chlostess Creme Filled Cupcakes" from Chole's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli)













No comments:

Post a Comment