Monday, July 21, 2014

Empty Wall Syndrome

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about our house and all the bare walls and why we haven't put up any pictures. We have tons of photos from the wedding and with family and friends from various points in our lives. Even a few good ones of Pepper when she stands still for more than a second. So why haven't we put any up on the walls? 

Well, I think I have the answer. I have been waiting and waiting to figure out exactly what each space in our home will end up looking like in it's final stage. So instead of putting holes in the wall in fear that we might make a mistake and want to redo it down the line, we sit and stare at blank walls. That's no way to live I tell ya!
Sure we have a few walls with some artwork like in our front room and a nice mirror in our dining room, but those spaces are going to stay that way for a long time so it wasn't nearly as scary to put those holes in the wall. I mean really though, how hard is it to spackle a nail hole and repaint? So I have been trying to tell myself that it's time to just go out, buy some frames and get some stuff on these blank walls of ours. Commence project gallery wall.
On Friday I went with one of my girlfriends to IKEA to get some frames for the soon to be gallery wall on our upstairs landing and a few extra frames for the one large wall we have in our living room. I warned her that I was literally going to buy every frame in the store and she didn't believe me. That was until we had three carts full between the two of us filled with frames and other goodies. 

Oh how I love IKEA. Well, more like love-hate. I love how cheap some of the stuff is and how it's a one-stop-shop kind of place, but I hate how far away it is and how there is a serious lack of efficiency when it comes to their warehouse among other things. That's neither here nor there, because Friday was the first step in the right direction to get some serious decor going in this house of ours.
So I was really excited when I got home to show off all the great stuff I got to my husband, he wasn't as thrilled as I was (of course) but that's just because he knew that meant lots of frame hanging in his future : ) As we were unloading the car he was shocked to see just how many frames I purchased. I don't plan to use every last frame but I wanted to have a few extra of each size to play around with while I map out exactly how this gallery wall will take shape. I swore I would take back anything we didn't use, fair enough right? Well, it looks like I will be taking back more than I bargained for.
Every single white frame that I purchased was broken. Womp womp.
I swear I checked every one before I left the store and I didn't see any major damage. But underneath all those little paper corners, they were busted up. And I mean, busted up. Nothing a little white paint could fix. Cue my sad face. I was so disappointed! Here I had finally started to make some progress getting a few frames on the wall and sure enough, it wasn't going to happen. And like I said earlier, IKEA isn't all that close by so I couldn't just run back out and exchange them that night. I am now going to have to make another trip out there some time in the coming weeks. 

I guess the one good thing is that the white frames were meant for the living room, not the gallery wall. So before I run back to IKEA, I am going to have to get moving on this gallery wall, open every black frame and make sure they aren't damaged as well.
I have heard horror stories about hanging gallery walls so I know it's not going to be an easy task. The next few weeks are going to be trying to say the least, but I am really hoping it's not too bad. The IKEA trip wasn't a huge bust though, I did get one of those UNG DRILL frames to hang in our entry way. 

I have been meaning to post photos of the newly painted foyer/entry way, but the color on the walls is so hard to see in photos (especially iPhone photos) so once we get a few things in that area I will post pictures to show you how it's coming along. That UNG frame will be used to showcase a wooden "P" in the foyer for our family name {like this}. As far as I can see that one isn't broken, but I guess I will know soon enough.
Trials and tribulations of decorating on a budget : /

No comments:

Post a Comment